Food glorious food!

Food is one of my greatest passions. There's a lot to be said for gorging on sweet sugary foodstuffs, but my greatest pleasure is experiencing new and sophisticated flavours. It goes hand in hand with travel and I find it sad that people go abroad only to look for the nearest full English breakfast they can find. Defeats the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

Thursday consisted mostly of eating, and lots more wine. After a typical, and delicious, American breakfast in ihop (international house of pancakes) we set off on the road for a private wine tasting session at a woman's house which overlooked her vineyard and the valley. The view was amazing, I can't believe someone lives in such an inspiring place.

The vineyard is owned by her and her husband, and together they grow, manage and pick the grapes themselves. I'm not sure how much more they do in the process, but they have their own highly exclusive wine named E II, after their dog.








We sat on her balcony where she brought a selection of cheeses that are all made within a 5 miles radius, and treated us to her wines, both white and red. Both wine and cheese were stunning, and had I realized how high valued they were at the time I would have consumed much more. The four cheeses she had out for us was over 100 dollars in total! It's not the first time on this holiday I've felt spoilt and undeserving.

The biggest shock was the view, I don't think I'll ever again be so impressed by someone's back 'garden'. Can't say I miss my view of a beer garden in Bangor.

After this tasting we set off and headed for an area called Fort Baker, an area near Golden Gate bridge that once served as a defensive point for the area during the second world war.



Now the buildings in the area which look like manors or estates serve as restaurants or hotels for people much posher than myself.


At our table there was a manner of cutlery in front of me that I hadn't seen before, and with the help of Kate I managed not to offend. When studying the wine list we saw a bottle of white wine from the vineyard we'd just been to priced at 750 dollars! I gasped.

For my meal I chose fancy seafood, as it's all locally caught, and chose sole with squid risotto, covered in squid ink! This was too new and interesting, and after finding out it wasn't going to taste like pen ink, I had to try it.

It was probably the nicest meal I've ever eaten, and squid and rissoto are among my favourites anyway so it was bound to please. Turns out the ink doesn't taste of a great deal, thankfully, but rather acts as a colouring. It was the first time I've ever had sole and I'm impressed!

Another eye opening day, where I've realized how fortunate I am as I'd have never seen or eaten things like this if left to my own devices.

And for my mum, this is the vineyard owners dog. A mental dog that would not stop playing fetch.



2 comments:

Fr Peter Weatherby said...

What was the dog's name Jim? The food tasting sounds very appealing to me, (but as you know, I'd prefer a glass of water to a glass of wine anyday, so wine would be wasted on me, and I wouldn't be appreciative of it, I'm afraid). But the food I sure would devour! I smiled at the vineyard owners calling a bottle of wine after their dog....something true to their heart, wine. Just like us, we have called our two cavvies after what is true to our hearts ....the pope's name! I've 'neglected' your blog today, and missed not following it too, with Wendy in labour. Oh Jim, he is absolutely gorgeous! Fancy him being born on his brother's birthday! (We seem to do that a lot don't we)? I joked with Jack and said, "It is going to be so much easier for me in future, all I have to do is buy 2 birthday cards, and split Jack's birthday money with his brother in future!"...you should have seen the luck on Jack's face! Looking forward to reading more of your blog, love to everyone, and take a jumper with you just in case the weather turns, (at least for Kate's benefit, she looked frozen on some of the pics)! Dad's photos of Lourdes just don't compare to your's here, but when you've been to Lourdes once, you've seen it all. Nothing changes in Lourdes. Nice to have dad back though! Love you, see you soon, Mum xxxx

Fr Peter Weatherby said...

OOPs! 2 mistakes, written as if by dad, and I meant "LOOK" not luck! Clumsy! Mum xx